The Everything Fruit Smoothie

A little background: I am not a cook. I also happen to be vegetarian, which complicates my recipes even further. My mother & sister are very different but very fabulous cooks. I never really had the desire to learn how to do much beyond toast. I like to blame the fact that I rarely eat a traditional "meal." 
 
I'm a snacker. I eat small amounts of food throughout the day and I pretty much refuse to go more than three hours without eating, or things get ugly. The idea of spending hours in the kitchen to cook more food than I can eat in one sitting just doesn't appeal to me. Plus I'm likely to get full snacking on all the ingredients long before the meal is fully prepared.
 
Anyway, the following is one of my favorite smoothie recipes for breakfast, a summer afternoon snack, or when I'm craving something sweet. It's packed full of fiber, protein, omega 3's, and antioxidants, and it's delicious. Enjoy!


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 3 large strawberries
  • 1/2 cup wild cherries
  • 1 tangerine
  • 1tablespoon flaxseed
  • 1cup Almond Milk
*The ingredients are very flexible, largely depending on what's ripe and what I have on hand. I always include at least one type of berry and one medium size fruit.



I tend to keep berries in the freezer, otherwise they go bad way too quickly. A handful of frozen blueberries are a fantastic snack on a hot day.  Also, this keeps me from having to add any ice to my smoothies.


If you freeze your strawberries, it's usually a good idea to cut them into smaller pieces first because it makes blending them much easier. Today I actually had some fresh strawberries, so my blueberries were the only frozen ingredient.


Leave the skin on the nectarines... it doesn't affect the taste. Don't waste that fiber!


Wild cherries add the tart flavor. Removing the pits is sort of a pain, but well worth it.


 Flaxseed goes in every smoothie I make, along with most salads and pastas. Great source of Omega 3's!

I'm a big fan of Almond milk because of the low calories, high protein, and smooth taste. It's about the consistency of skim milk, but the smoothies still turn out pretty thick. It's a great alternative to dairy and for those who think soy milk is a little too chalky.

Add the ingredients together, blend, and VOILA!





Source URL: https://joshhamiltonblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/everything-fruit-smoothie.html
Visit josh hamilton blog for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive