WILW 4.20.11






 This week I'm celebrating my gypsy heart. I know it's not normal 
and some may say not very responsible, but it's me. I've struggled throughout
my twenties to come to terms with the complete lack of desire to "settle down" 
by society's standards. At times I've felt like a complete failure.. flawed because
I don't want the things I'm supposed to want. The things my friends want.

I didn't have buy that one way ticket to Hawaii after graduating college...
I could have saved my money, gone to grad school, used my Biology 
degree to get a grown-up job as a lab rat somewhere.. I could be 
paying a mortgage instead of rent... I could be one of those people with a 
briefcase and a 401K. Instead I am one of those people with a worn out 
suitcase and a mountain of debt. I wouldn't change a thing.

I have explored the planet and explored my soul. I need to travel like 
most people need oxygen. I'm certain that taking a more "normal" path would
kill me. I've spent my twenties broke and trying to find my way... 
different cities, different careers, even different schools. Sure, it's a struggle,
but I truly wouldn't have it any other way. Thankfully, I have the full support
of my friends and family and no one has ever told me to chill out with the 
travel plans and be normal for five minutes. So to my dearest friends and 
family, thank you for accepting my gypsy heart. At times I think you all 
keep me from betraying my wanderlust... you keep me honest with my 
true self and help me accept my very nature. Thank you.

I'm loving this navigation locket by birdzNbeez on etsy. I mean, 
was this thing meant to be mine or what? A sparrow (often tattooed on
sailors after 5,000 nautical miles traveled, thought to bring good luck and
a safe return), a rosary connector, and a compass locket. 



I'm loving lonely planet travel guides. Advice, tips, information,

and reviews on everything from street vendors to hostels to taxi 
companies. I've loved lonely planet since I got my hands on a few guides back
in high school. I certainly believe that too much planning is a recipe for 
disaster when it comes to travel, but having no idea that it's considered 
obscene to use your left hand at the dinner table in certain cultures is not
a good thing. You have to do your research, but be careful not to plan every
moment with no flexibility. Lonely planet keeps you informed when it comes
to gratuity, gestures, dress, language, transportation, lodging, food, etc.

A sample of my collection...

I'm loving the fact that I've made a decision to {one day} own 
a pop up camper. I grew up camping with my family. We camped when 
we went to grandma's house. We camped when we went to the beach or to 
the mountains. We even camped when we went to Disney World.  Campfires, 
ghost stories, exploring campgrounds, smores, meeting interesting people, 
picking wildflowers, swimming, hiking, fishing, playing cards, chasing 
butterflies & catching lighting bugs...some of my best childhood memories 
involve that old Coleman Pop Up. I learned how to dive, do a cartwheel and 
french braid my hair on camping trips with my cousins. My first black eye? The 
camping trip in Maine when my little brother got angry and threw a rock at my
face. What can I say, I'm a sucker for nostalgia. I love my tent, but since I plan
to camp in every state in the Union, I may as well have pop up of my very own.

The smell of citronella takes me back...

One of many rainy New England camping trips.


Although... an Airstream would be pretty sweet. 
My budget calls for a pop up.


Oh how I miss those days spent camping...


I'm loving these must-have travel accessories, 
like the luggage tags I got for Christmas.

And this handy $6 clock/calculator/currency converter for those 
of us who don't want to fuss with finding aps on 
smartphones whilst on an international vacation.


Then there's my favorite, Cliff Bars. Completely necessary for those 
of us who think only of food when we find ourselves experiencing 
the more boring parts of travel. Yummmmmm....

Way cheaper than airport food.



Wishing you an adventuresome Wednesday!



Source URL: https://joshhamiltonblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/wilw-42011.html
Visit josh hamilton blog for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive