Adoring Auntie


"Only an Aunt can give hugs like a mother, can keep secrets like a sister, and share love like a friend." -Spanish Proverb

 
 

I am Aunt Tis. I believe that I was born to be an adoring
auntie to my siblings' children as well as the children of my
dear friends. I'm petrified of babies, however... but getting a
little better each time I hold one. It's just that the less they
can do on their own, the more nervous I get. I do much
better with kids who can do things like hold their head up,
walk around, and use a couple of words here and there. 
Many of my friends are mothers, but many of them are not.
Those of us who don't have kids of our own typically have
family, neighbors, godchildren, etc that call us Auntie... 
and it's our job to teach, inspire, adore, challenge, 
support, and yes, spoil them.

What I've learned: That that kids LOVE messy 
art projects their mothers would never want to have 
to think about cleaning up. But Aunties don't mind 
(Largely because we don't have to clean up after them daily)! 
They also love junk shopping (with Auntie's money),
learning goofy dance moves, hours of hide-and-seek, 
making and destroying forts in the living room, scavenger 
hunts, food fights, pranks... and dozens of other things that
mom would rather have Aunt Tis handle. I'm kind of like the
substitute teacher that tricks kids into behaving 
by just being unorthodox and weird. 


What we do: Mostly I talk to kids like they are 
adults (minus the swearing... give me some credit). I am
direct and ask them tons of questions about what they 
think is fun, what they want to do, and what they'd like to
learn about. When I run out of ideas, I turn to the fun
community of aunties at Savvy Auntie who post a gazillion
ideas, stories, activities, entertainment, style articles,
crafts, you name it. Imagination is numero uno with me...
it's the part I miss most about being a kid. My little 
monsters and I always pick creative, imaginative,
educational activities... because a bored kid is not 
usually a well-behaved kid, am I right?


My nephew lives two states away and my two nieces 
live across the country. My nephew is a little older and 
pretty soon he'll have facebook (!) and an email address, 
but for now we write cards and letters. My nieces and I 
have a video chat date once a week- they're across the country. 
The oldest is 6 and we are very close, and the
youngest was born in October 2010 so mostly I get to watch
her develop and she watches me make goofy faces at my webcam.



What we learn: When I was a kid I loved story 
time, and I loved learning about faraway places. My 
nieces & nephew just so happen to feel the same way, 
so I recently started a Travel Story Series. I write a letter
about a specific trip I took and create a photo album or 

slideshow so that they can learn about geography, language,
social studies, biology, etc. They're minds are like little 
sponges! Did I mention these kids teach me things 
all the time? It's really incredible. 

Mini me.. my niece Katelyn

What do you remember most about your Aunts during your childhood? 

What is your favorite thing to do with the little ones that call you "Auntie?"




Source URL: https://joshhamiltonblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/adoring-auntie.html
Visit josh hamilton blog for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive