A Mutt & a Groomer, Part II



Click here to read A Mutt & a Groomer, Part I


Rocko had his appointment with the groomer! Yesterday morning
we were up with the sun and at the "salon" (their word, not mine) for the
long-awaited professional hair cut. It was empty except for a pretty young girl
with a blue smock and silver acrylic nails. Relief! I was pretty nervous
about lots of foofy dogs and their owners gawking at us. Now it was
just me, Rocko, and this sleepy-eyed groomer.

I explained to her that Rocko had never been professionally
groomed before. She took one look at him, asked me
how old he was (he's 4) , and told me flat out it just might not
be possible. I stared her in the eye until finally she opened
her mouth to say something, looked at Rocko again, then
nodded her head and grabbed a clipboard for me to fill out. I've been
told my facial expressions are very readable. It's possible I looked a
little hostile. Oops. Give me a break- it was before 7am!



After the paperwork, I glanced down at Rocko and was mortified to see
that in our rush to get out the door I'd grabbed the leash that
was held together with duct tape. It started to unravel months
ago but being the thrifty sort of girl I am, I saw no reason to throw
it away.... because, I mean, duct tape fixes everything, right? But
now here I was in a fancy doggie salon and surely any moment more
people were going to walk in with their designer-clad pooches
and be completely horrified by my duct tape leash!



Thankfully the groomer pretended not to notice and I hightailed it
out of there after much reassurance that she would be able to
give him a great cut and would call me in a few hours. I purposely
asked her to go as short as possible to buy time before the next cut
if I decided to go this route again. She asked me if I'd like her to keep
some length on his head and tail and I shrugged and said, "Ummm, sure."
Result: hysterical disaster. 

When I arrived 4 hours (!) later to pick him up, I almost peed
myself when I laid eyes on him. I laughed so hard I forgot to care
about the duct tape leash or the crowd of people and dogs.

Sucky camera phone

Are you ready for the before and after?

Before

After
So now my dog has a giant bushy tail, fluffy cheeks, and a totally
shaved body. I suppose I pictured a little more blending happening
between the neck and head, but he looks like he's ready for bootcamp.

Is it just me or does his collar no longer fit?


 And perhaps it's my imagination, but he is even
behaving goofier than normal...

Why?!?!

 Rocko's undercoat is significantly lighter than his outer coat,
and he has a black stripe down his back that is much less obvious
with his normal hair length.  Instead of being black and brown he
is now black and 3 or 4 shades of brown.

The black stripe.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset. This is all new to me, and I realize
that this cut doesn't look weird on a Shih Tzu. But my dog is going
to develop a complex if I don't stop laughing at him every time I
look his direction. He looks so skinny and awkward... hahahaha.. aww

No matter how silly he looks, the cut was a total success. He was a 
perfect angel and he is much cooler (as in body temperature). The best part? 
I don't have to vacuum daily and keep a lint brush in my car!! Woohoo!





Source URL: https://joshhamiltonblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/mutt-groomer-part-ii.html
Visit josh hamilton blog for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive