Opening Day!

Hip Hip Hooray! It's OPENING DAY!!

Finally- I thought baseball season would never get here. My team, the one and only 
New York Yankees, will be playing the Detroit Tigers at Yankee Stadium 
today for the season opener. When people ask me who my team is, 
I tend to get that wrinkled-nose "oh puh-lease" kind of look. 
I know, I know, they get paid an absurd amount of money. I know, A-Rod is a tool. 
I agree. But I am not a fair weather fan nor am I a band wagon fan. (ahem.. Boston)


My father has a Roger Maris home run ball and my uncle on my mom's side has a 
Babe Ruth home run ball. My entire family is from New York, and some of my 
first memories involve watching Yankees baseball with my Dad. Dad grew up 
watching the Yankees play at legendary Yankee Stadium, and he and I went to 
one last game before they demolished it and moved into the shiny 
new stadium across the street. One of the best NYC trips EVER!! We won, of course.

2008 - farewell to a monument







So if the Yankees suddenly became the poorest, most pathetic team in Major 
League Baseball, I will still adore them. If they continue to be a dominant force 
of overpaid all stars, I will still pledge allegiance to the pin stripes. 
Because I am a FAN.

Shiny new stadium we didn't need

That said, I still root for other teams and I definitely have my favorite and 
not-so-favorite players. I lived in Texas for two summers during college and I 
watched the Rangers play every chance I got. Back then A-Rod was a lot less of a 
jerk off and Pudge Rodriguez and Gabe Kapler were two of my favorite players. 
I will always root for Hideki Matsui, because he's just amazing 
(I'm still not over him leaving the Yankees).

2009 World Series MVP

Anyway, despite the steroid scandals and the ridiculous salaries and all the 
silly politics, I still love the game. And even though I'm not a huge fan of 
Kevin Costner, Bull Durham remains one of my favorite movies.


On a side note, can we please flashback to to the movie Major League 
when Charlie Sheen played Rich "Wild Thing" Vaughn?

I shall waste all this on hookers and whiskey

Some people think this sport is boring, I think it's hours of strategy and 
skill and brute strength plus some of the sexiest men alive 
wearing the best uniforms in sports history. What's not to love?

Also, Joe Girardi is a FOX.






Source URL: https://joshhamiltonblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/opening-day.html
Visit josh hamilton blog for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive